What is this message?
Canon inkjet printers contain an internal counter that keeps note of how many pages have been printed and how many cleans etc. have been performed. These counters are used to estimate how full of waste ink a large sponge in the base of the printer is. Once your printer believes this tank/absorber is full your printer will stop printing and give an error message.
Thankfully Canon printers have a tenancy to over estimate how full the tank is, so you can usually get some more use by simply resetting the counter.
Step by Step Guide
To reset the ink absorber counter follow the steps below:
- Make sure the printer is off.
- Press and hold RESUME button (triangle in the circle).
- Then press and hold the POWER button. Green LED will then light.
- With the POWER button still held down, release the RESUME Button.
- Press RESUME twice and then release BOTH buttons.
- Press RESUME four times then immediately press the POWER button
- This will then reset the waste ink absorbers counter.
- Turn your printer OFF and then On again.
With this done your printer should return to the normal menu and you can continue printing.
NoticePlease note: Resetting this counter does not empty the ink tank and if the absorber is not cleaned or replaced it will eventually overflow.
Instructions for cleaning and replacing the waste ink absorber can be found online. If however you do not wish to through this process you could always simply protect the surface the printer sits on and and keep an eye on the quality of your print outs.
If you have any questions queries or want to share your experiences with this issue please let us know in the comments below.